Trinity Evangelical Free Church traces its history to December 31, 1905, when a small group of Christians met at a Berkeley home on Virginia Street and formed the Swedish Evangelical Free Church. The congregation thrived, took on the new name of Berkeley Evangelical Free Church and dedicated a new church building at 1918 Blake Street in Berkeley in 1907. It decided to move to El Cerrito in 1972 and purchased its present property on Schmidt Lane. Its pastor is Tom Johnston. It shares the church building with the El Cerrito Chinese Christian Church.