From a City of El Cerrito press release:
The City of El Cerrito and the El Cerrito Historical Society will host a brief ceremony on today at 1 p.m. to unveil one of the new "Lincoln Highway" signs installed on San Pablo Avenue. The ceremony will take place near 10192 San Pablo Avenue in El Cerrito. The public is invited to attend.
Members of the El Cerrito Historical Society recently purchased four marker signs commemorating San Pablo Avenue as part of the historic Lincoln Highway system, with sign donations from Richard and Mae Ritz, Joann Steck-Bayat and Barbara and Curtis Hill.
El Cerrito Historical Society board member Rich Bartke, El Cerrito Mayor Greg Lyman and Michael Kaelin from the Lincoln Highway Association will all speak at the event.
Event details are available on the City’s website at: http://el-cerrito.org/Calendar.aspx?EID=896
You may read more about the Lincoln Highway's route through El Cerrito here.
The signs are being installed along San Pablo Avenue in El Cerrito to coincide with the 100th anniversary for the Lincoln Highway system. The City installed the signs on San Pablo Avenue in the following locations:
San Pablo Avenue, just north of Blake - northbound
San Pablo Avenue, south of Cutting - southbound
San Pablo Avenue, south of El Dorado - southbound
San Pablo Avenue, south of Lincoln - northbound
The Lincoln Highway was the first effort to establish a transcontinental highway system in 1913. It ran coast to coast beginning in Times Square in New York City and ending in Lincoln Park, San Francisco. The route changed many times as improvements were made. Locally after the Carquinez Bridge was opened in 1927, the route moved to follow San Pablo Avenue from Crockett through El Cerrito and other cities to the Berkeley Pier ferry landing. San Pablo Avenue later became part of old U.S. Route 40.
For information on the Lincoln Highway system, please visit this website: http://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/