BART has given its board members and riders a glimpse into the future.
BART staff members unveiled the initial designs for its new fleet of train cars at a board meeting on Wednesday.
The engineering firm hired by BART came up the proposed new train design after receiving input from BART and transit riders.
The 10 key features are:
1. Split train capability
2. Three doors on each car to make getting on and off faster and easier
3. Energy efficiency improvements
4. Exterior digital displays showing route color and destination
5. Better passenger information -- audio and visual
6. Noise and HVAC improvements
7. Easier to clean seats and floors
8. More handholds
9. More priority seating for seniors and people with disabilities
10. System to transmit BART info to hearing aids and cochlear implants
To see a video presentation of the design as well as get a project update and the latest cost estimates go to the BART link here.
What do you think of the design? Vote in our poll and express your opinion in our comments section.