You may have noticed toy-donation barrels in town, a sign the that the annual Richmond/El Cerrito Firefighters Toy Program is again collecting unwrapped new toys to give to economically disadvantaged children in West Contra Costa County and Albany.
For more than 20 years, local firefighters have been accepting toys and cash donations to help make the holidays a little brighter for kids whose families face financial hardships.
The toys should be new and unwrapped and suitable for ages up to 12 years old. They can be dropped off at local fire stations or in the special barrels placed during the holiday season at El Cerrito Hall, El Cerrito Community Center and any local businesses that wish to host a barrel.
Monetary donations can be made any time of year at the program's Web site.
The program works in partnership with the Food Basket Program of the Richmond police department’s and with the Coronado YMCA in Richmond.
The following locations are among those accepting toys:
- El Cerrito City Hall – 10890 San Pablo Avenue, El Cerrito
- El Cerrito Community Center - 7007 Moeser Lane, El Cerrito
- El Cerrito Fire Station 71 - 10900 San Pablo Avenue
- El Cerrito Fire Station 72 - 1520 Arlington Boulevard
- Kensington Fire Station #65 - 217 Arlington Avenue, Kensington
- Richmond Fire Station 61 - 140 W Richmond Avenue, Richmond
- Richmond Fire Station 62 - 1065 7th Street, Richmond
- Richmond Fire Station 63 - 5201 Valley View Road, Richmond
- Richmond Fire Station 64 - 4801 Bayview Avenue, Richmond
- Richmond Fire Station 66 - 4100 Clinton Avenue, Richmond
- Richmond Fire Station 67 - 1131 Cutting Blvd., Richmond
- Richmond Fire Station 68 - 2904 Hilltop Drive, Richmond