Blood donors with types O negative, B negative and A negative are especially needed.
The Red Cross is seeing fewer appointments at its blood donation centers and blood drives this summer than what is needed to ensure blood and platelets continue to be available for patients.
During the summer months of June, July and August, on average, about two fewer donors make an appointment to give blood at each Red Cross blood drive than what patients need. This can add up to more than 100,000 fewer donations during the summer.
Blood and platelet donations are needed every day for patients with many serious medical conditions. Accident and burn victims, heart surgery patients, organ transplant patients, and those receiving treatment for leukemia, cancer or sickle cell disease may all need blood.
To learn more and make an appointment to donate blood, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS.Blood drives in Contra Costa County:
- 7/15/2014: 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM: ATLAS LIFT TECH, 210 Porter Dr., San Ramon
- 7/17/2014: 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2350 Jeffery Way, Brentwood
- 7/23/2014: 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM: St. Anne Church, 2800 Camino Diablo Rd., Byron
- 7/24/2014: 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM: Laurel Ridge Community Church, 2459 Laurel Road, Oakley
- 7/25/2014: 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM: San Ramon Valley United Methodist Church, 902 Danville Blvd., Alamo
- 7/25/2014: 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM: Resurrection (Ministries) Lutheran Church, 1275 Fairview Avenue, Brentwood
- 7/28/2014: 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Streets of Brentwood, 2565 Sand Creek Road, Brentwood
- 7/30/2014: 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Concord, 1360 Alberta Way, Concord
- 7/31/2014: 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Pittsburg, 2201 Golf Club Rd., Pittsburg